Monday, August 19, 2013

Shiver My Timbers

Ramen noodles, chocolate chips, pineapple juice, and beer--that's the extent of my dietary intake thus far in Qingdao, yet I feel like a million bucks. In fact, I've got such a spring in this ol' giddy-up that I'm planning a bus excursion this afternoon that, if all goes according to plan, ought to take me to Jimo Lu (a huge bargaining market) and Beer Street (after all, the Qingdao Beer Festival is supposed to be spectacular and near the beach). Time permitting, I may even follow up with a stop at the supermarket and buy something to eat that's of more substance.

A quick note, though, on my reticence to stray from the convenience store in my building for grocery purposes: The shop owner clearly gets a bang out of the items I'm buying. In turn, I get a kick out of his enjoyment, and though I can't make heads or tails of what he says to me, and vice versa, we are able to share a laugh about how preposterous my purchases are. I spill the chocolate, noodles, juice, and beer on the counter, and when I peer up and meet his eyes, we both break out in laughter. Also, twice I have walked downstairs to find him catching a snoozer on the sofa in the lobby, and when he hitches that eyelid up and spies me, he bolts upright, guides me to his store front, unlocks the gate, and ushers me in. While I recognize that I'll eventually want to stray from the premises for food, the mere thought of taking my business elsewhere seems like rotten betrayal just now.

These excursion plans to the market and Beer Street are in abeyance, however, until the maintenance man, whose English name is Frank, I believe, returns to fix up the bathroom and the ceiling lights. I'm mighty proud to have solved the perplexing washing machine issue on my own. Turns out I just have to slink the drain hose through my apartment to the sump pump looking hole in my bathroom floor and let her blast away. Who knew? Finding that solution taxed every ounce of my problem solving ability.

The embedded picture is of the mote surrounding the Forbidden City in Beijing. . . . And no, it has no connection to anything in this post, but boy ain't it pretty to look at! Till next time.

P.s.: Happy birthday, Ma! Wish I could celebrate with you in person but know I will be thinking of you.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! Thanks for the update. Hope you made it to the market and beer fest. Love your posts. Keep 'em comin.
    Mb

    ReplyDelete